Terms & Conditions
We, 5 Media, are organising the “5 Everyday Changemaker Photo Contest”. We define everyday changemakers as everyday people who are making differences, big and small, all around the world, right now. To participate in the contest, all you need to do is take a great photo of an everyday changemaker, and tell us why you think they deserve to be celebrated.
There are 2 prizes to win; a Jury Prize of €2500 and a Community Prize of €2500.
Please note that the cash prize may be subject to local tax, depending on the recipients’ country rules and regulations.
The contest will run from October 5th to December 8th:
- Entries open on October 5th.
- Entries close on November 9th.
- Finalists announced on November 16th.
- Winners announced on December 8th.
Age requirements and consent
- Free to enter and open to everyone.
- For anyone under the age of 18, parental / guardian consent must be obtained.
- All relevant subject consent must have been obtained for the use of the photographs for publication by 5 Media on fivemedia.com, the 5 Media newsletter and social media.
- All submitted photographs must have been taken by the person submitting the photo/portrait to the contest.
- The photograph must be a portrait, focused on an individual/single person. ‘Portrait’ may be interpreted in its widest sense, of ‘photography concerned with portraying people with an emphasis on their identity as individuals’.
- All photographs must have been taken by the entrant between 1st January 2018 and the closing date of the contest. Photographers must, if required, show proof of the date on which the photograph was taken.
- The submitted entry must have been posted on Instagram on or after the 5th of October.
- Photographs can be submitted in black, white or colour.
- Images can be shot using any camera model (film or digital) or electronic device, and images may be portrait, landscape or square in format.
- A portrait can only be entered once.
- The portrait caption should include a title and why your changemaker deserves to be celebrated.
- All captions must be written in English.
- All entries must be in line with Instagram’s Community Guidelines.
The Jury Prize process takes place as below:
- The visual directors of 5 Media will select the Jury Prize shortlist from all the entries.
- The Jury Prize shortlist will be presented to the 5 jury members.
- The jury members will collectively select five portraits as finalists for the Jury Prize. The finalists will be announced and displayed on the 5 Media website.
- The jury members will collectively select the winner of the Jury Prize.
- The winner of the Jury Prize will be contacted directly and displayed on the 5 Media website.
The Community Prize process takes place as below:
- The visual directors of 5 Media will select the Community Prize shortlist from all the entries.
- The 5 most liked posts will be the 5 finalists.
- The 5 finalists will be posted on the 5 Media Instagram Account and voting will begin.
- The Community Prize portrait with the highest number of votes will be announced as the winner. The winner will be contacted directly and displayed on the 5 Media website.
Criteria for awards
The Community Award will be chosen by the community, when the finalists have been announced and the voting period has ended.
The Jury Award will be chosen by the 5 Jury Members, based on these criteria below:
- Portraits are well composed and executed.
- Portraits show something about who the chosen changemaker is, with a focus on originality and creativity. For example, portraits may demonstrate their character, their spirit, their drive, a feel for the community or setting they work in, the kind of work they do or the impact they are having.
Intellectual property rights
- All rights for submissions will remain with the photographer, the licensee and/or copyright owner/s.
- Each entrant will be deemed to warrant that they own the entire copyright for the work or that they have permission from the licensee and/or copyright owner/s for the uses.
- The photographer or their representatives agree unconditionally that 5 Media may publish any submitted photographs for the purposes of marketing and promotion in direct connection with the Everyday Changemakers Photo Contest on fivemedia.com, the 5 Media newsletter and social media. The submitted photographs will not be used for any commercial purposes.
- To be shortlisted, you will be asked to complete a short form and explicitly consent to these terms of the contest. The form will be sent to you via Instagram Direct Message, if your portrait is chosen for the shortlist by 5 Media’s Visual Directors.